Thursday, December 4, 2014

Goodbye sun, hello rain, bye-bye drongo...

Tuesday morning I met up with Jonathan for a couple of hours of birding near Modi'in before returning to UK. The sun was out of course, lovely temperatures, lots of winter visitors - nothing too exciting though. Some Woodlarks, Siskins, several Gazelles etc.

Southern Grey Shrike aucheri

Long-legged Buzzard

And then another long trip back to UK - flew to Paris, where my car waited for me. Drove to Calais, and had a couple of hours to kill before my ferry departed. There were some birds to be seen inside the port - one distant Slavonian Grebe, and two Red-breasted Mergansers:


The ferry trip was uneventful, as was the drive from Dover to Norwich.
When I got back home news broke of an Ashy Drongo that was found by Irad Solnik at a funny site in the heart of the country. Good chance this is a wild bird. I knew this would come. There were some good birds in Israel since I left, but luck was on my side - I had seen all of them before (Lesser Flamingo etc.). This bird is something else - first for Israel of course. Today it was not relocated but if it stays for the winter good chance it shows up somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment