Monday, August 12, 2013

Not enough souls for this cat

Found this roadkilled female Jungle Cat this morning close to my house. Always sad to find such impressive carnivores killed. Jungle Cat is common in N and C Israel in valleys, preferring wet habitats. In valleys such as Hula and Bet She'an they are found in good densities. In recent decades they are spreading south into the Negev, mainly along large well-vegetated wadis. Sadly, roadkills are one of the most effiecient ways to monitor large mammals in Israel. This is my second record of Jungle Cat in my region - I saw a (live) male last year.


1 comment:

  1. Always sad news to read " roadkills" , I saw this cat a couple of years ago in Hula. It was one of the highlights for me. What a beautiful animal

    Gr David
    www.davidverdonck.be
    http://davidverdonck.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete