Saturday, June 29, 2013

Back to cucumber season

Back to mid-summer Israeli reality. Hot and humid and few birds about. The next few weeks are expected to be rather quiet but I will do my best to produce some posts every now and then. I will have to be pretty creative until migration picks up in a few weeks.

Stone Curlews are common nocturnal birds in Israel. I hear them every evening calling from the fields around my village. But in the last few days one bird has been favouring a large lawn near my house. I guess that after all humans go to sleep at night it arrives there to look for juicy mole crickets or something like that, and it lingers into the early morning hours until the first humans walk their dogs or take their kids to the adjacent kindergarten. I have only seen it early in the morning, never later.

Outstanding bird and look at that brilliant eye!




No comments:

Post a Comment