Monday, February 11, 2013

Hume's Warbler!

This morning I went to try and ring the Hume's Warbler I found near my house, to confirm its ID. I tried and succeeded. I was joined by Roni Livne. In fact during the first two hours of the morning we heard it several times but didn't manage to see it at all. Until finally it made its way into my net.
This is a sweet little bird. Pretty bright on secondaries fringes, and rather extensive pale lower mandible, but otherwise quite typical looking - greyish above, buffish supercilium, tiny MC wingbar, narrow and ill-defined tertial edges, dark legs. The forehead is dirty from sticky eucalyptus pollen.

Hume's Warbler (Phylloscopus humei)



While setting the nets up before dawn I had a male Eagle Owl singing next to me for about an hour: "uhhh... uhhh... uhhh...". What a bird. A 'real' bird, not like the above.

And another real bird: 
Lesser Spotted Eagle 

Thanks Roni for the help.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos! I love birds. Greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete