Monday, June 13, 2011

Surprising seawatch

Had some time this morning to check the Ashdod ponds. Arrived there only to discover that I had lost my key to the gate. As a fresh westerly was blowing, I went for plan B and drove down to the beach. It was actually quite a productive hour. There was a good passage (in local standards) of Common Terns, felt almost like Spurn... Among them I spotted one adult White-cheeked Tern, which is a pretty good record for the Med coast. Apart for that some gulls (Yellow-legs and Baltics), and one distant shearwater that must have been a scopoli's.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Yoav, you need to see a real seawatch in Cornwall in September. We don't see White-cheeked Terns though! Let me know if you are coming over to the UK. Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know. The Mediterranean sucks. Had a nice afternoon at Spurn, August 2009 which was very good (incl. Sabine's Gull). However, after doing some pelagics in the southern seas, it is clear that Northern Hemisphere seawatching is, well, you know... Thanks for the invitation anyway.

    ReplyDelete