Monday, January 31, 2011

Jaffa seawatching

Went out this morning for my first (and last?) seawatch of this windless winter. After dispatching both kids at their respective kindergartens, arrived at Jaffa Port pretty late to find all the guys already present shouting at each other in great excitement. A few minutes before I had arrived a skua that may or may not have been a Bonxie flew past, too distant, too brief, too rare to have enough guts to claim it... Anyway, that bird was gone and with it most of the (few) birds seen earlier that morning. The wind wasn't too good, with a strong southerly element to it, and as a result pelagic birds were far and few. We didn't have a single tubenose. One 2cy White-cheeked Tern was a good bird though; there are very few records from our Med coast. Other than that 1 Gannet, 1 Little Gull, several Pallas's Gulls and that's it.

2 comments:

  1. I may not always leave a comment, but I never miss one of your posts. I find them of great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thnx Mike, wish I could produce more posts but birding is REALLY slow now, waiting for the spring to arrive in a couple of weeks...

    ReplyDelete