Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Local birding

Spent the last few days at home, did some small hikes near my house and enjoyed migration infull swing. On Monday a good take-off of Lesser Spotted Eagles, with about 1000 birds that roosted in the nearby forest flying low over my house. Scops Owls are very vocal at night, with at least three males singing right now around my house. I also had two birds singing in daytime during a hike today. Also today during that hike my first European Bee-eaters for my area this season, one Semi-collared Flycatcher, and one Nightingale. Still many lingering winter visitors, with several Hawfinches and Siskins, one Grey Wagtail and a late Chaffinch.
After dinner I was tempted by the singing scops, put a mistnet up and caught this gorgeous bird. It is like a cute toy...

1 comment:

  1. Wish we could have been there to see you with the owl!

    ReplyDelete