Thursday, October 1, 2009

My first post - birding Tsor'a

Yesterday (30/9/09), I visited one of my favorite birding sites, Tsor'a. It is only 10 minutes away from my house, and is one of the most productive landbird sites in C Israel.

As I drove in I noticed two Red-footed Falcons, an adult male and a 1cy, sitting in a dry field and warming up in the early morning sun.

adult male

adult male and 1cy


There were about eight Rollers in the alfalfa field, mostly 1cy. This bird had a severely damaged bill, but it seemed to feed very well in spite of its injury.

The most dominant species in the field were Yellow Wagtails (mostly flava-types) and Willow Warblers. Pipits showed in good numbers too, with tens of Red-throats already, and smaller numbers of Tree and Tawny. Two Richard's Pipits were good birds, but unfortunately they did not cooperate for photography.


Yellow Wagtail



Willow Warbler


There were several Isabelline Wheatears in the field. This one caught a juicy caterpillar very close to me.




On my way out, a 1cy Lesser Grey Shrike posed nicely, but on an ugly 'branch', and against a boring background.


No comments:

Post a Comment